Admission to the graduate program in Accountancy is limited to those applicants who can demonstrate high promise of success in a graduate business degree program. Admission is competitive. To be eligible for consideration, applicants must demonstrate that they possess the following minimum qualifications:
For applicants with a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited U.S. college or university:
- Strong record of academic achievement demonstrated by cumulative GPA
Note: The GMAT is no longer required but may be submitted to supplement the academic record if GPA does not fully demonstrate academic ability.
- Positive recommendations, preferably from an academic source.
For International applicants without a baccalaureate or higher degree from a U.S.college or university:
- Strong record of academic potential demonstrated by GMAT score
- Command of both oral and written English - those for whom English is not their first language must submit a minimum TOEFL (IBT) score of 80 or IELTS score of 6.5. Possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution may serve in lieu of the TOEFL score.
- Positive recommendations, preferably from an academic source
If the undergraduate degree is not in accountancy and/or business, the student must fulfill the Phase I College of Business foundation courses and Phase I accountancy requirements (see Degree Requirements). A student, who wishes to enroll in Phase I courses at NIU, must be admitted to the M.A.S. (Leadership) program.
NIU Bachelor of Accountancy students may apply for early admission to the Master of Accounting Science (Leadership) Program. If admitted, dual-admit students may enroll in up to six hours of graduate credit, with department consent, during their final semester in the undergraduate program. Student must have Phase I Accountancy courses (ACCY 310, 320, 331, 332, 360, and 450) completed before beginning MAS coursework. A student enrolling in both graduate and undergraduate hours may enroll in a maximum of 16 credit hours. Contact Steve Kispert, MAS Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org, for additional information.
Department of Accountancy
Degrees & Certificates
- B.S. in Accountancy
- M.S. in Taxation
- Certificate of Graduate Study
- Professional Certification Review Courses